Thursday, January 04, 2007

New Year's Resolution (singular)

I'm doing something different this year. Just ONE resolution. And I'm posting it here so it's on the record and everyone knows about it. I want everyone to ask me how it's going, okay? And I mean from now through December. Because it's going to be tough, but I think it will be worth it.

I resolve to draw something every day this year. Even if it's my pen or my coffee cup or a floorplan for a room in my house, I am going to put pen or pencil to paper do so something OTHER than write words.

My goal is to improve my drawing skills, which I think will have a positive influence on all my other artwork.

I started this in Sedona over the past week. Here are a couple of my drawings. I'll post some here every once in a while so we can all see whether I'm making any progress, okay?

This one includes objects I found in my aunt and uncle's house and in my parents' house in Sedona. And the background sketch is the view of Chimney Rock from my aunt and uncle's breakfast room. As you can see, I have some work to do. That basket ended up looking like a space ship that landed on the rocks.



This one is a copy of a drawing on a large tile at my parent's house. It sure is easier to draw something when it's already flat!



Okay, I haven't drawn anything today, so I'm off to my studio . . .

No comments: