Sunday, October 05, 2008

Taming the Art Room!

Is there ANY art form out there more material-intensive than mixed media??? I can only think of one, perhaps: assemblage. Which is why I've avoided that one as much as possible, though I do have one box of 3D junk and a little shadow box into which I've been dropping intriguing little gems. I know, I know: It's a slippery slope!

Anyway, I can't believe it's been TWO months since I posted here. Illness and general life busy-ness have intervened, but I believe (hope) I'm back into the creative flow.

My goal these past weeks has been to tame the beast that has become my art room. To that end, we cleared a cabinet in the garage to house all the materials that I have set aside for teaching art classes, and got all that stuff put away. It made surprisingly little difference in the room, but it was a start.

Then, Mark helped me tame the most out-of-control corner of the room, where I had stacked all my large, flat items vertically and they were constantly falling all over the place and I ended up piling things on top of them. I wish I had taken a "before" photo, but here are the afters:





We built that vertical file unit with particle board, and I LOVE it! Not only does it keep all the big, flat stuff organized and accessible, but it also gives me three little stepped shelves to clutter up!

Then, my mom brought me this fantastic tiered lazy Susan thingy, so I corralled all my pens and odds and ends on the table behind my work table, and reorganized all my brushes and other tool-type stuff. Now I can actually see the surface of the table again!



I now feel like I can move around in there and find things easily, which is essential for me when I create. Whew.

1 comment:

Nona said...

Wow! This looks Great! In fact, too nice to mess up with arting ;-)
I wonder what it would be like to be able to find my tools???